KUVO Needs Phone Bank Volunteers April 24-May 2 (Denver)
KUVO, Jazz 89.3, will be doing its on-air pledge drive starting April 24. Volunteers are needed for phone bank shifts during that time. This is an opportunity to spend a few hours with KUVO on-air personalities and staff in Five Points.
If you can help KUVO with its pledge drive, please contact Arvida Racón at Arvida@kuvo.org or 303-446-77631. The phone bank schedule is as follows:
Thursday, April 24
Friday, April 25
Saturday, April 26
Sunday, April 27
Monday, April 28
Tuesday, April 29
Wednesday, April 30
Thursday, May 1
Friday, May 2
Tasty Volunteer Opportunity for Cooks Club Event on May 4 (Denver)
We need volunteers for the Cooks Club event featuring Elise Wiggens, Executive Chef of Panzano Restaurant in Hotel Monaco, on Sunday, May 4th, from 12:30 – 3:30pm. Come and join us for this fun event! Here's what we need:
- 2 volunteers for check-in (Can leave as early as 2pm, if they don't want to stay)
- 2 volunteers to help the Panzano mixologist make cocktails and run drink table (12:30-3:30pm)
- 2 volunteers to help the sous chefs pass out food (12:30-3:30pm)
- 2 volunteers for set-up/break down/ general support (12:30-3:30pm)
If you would like to assist (and who wouldn't?), please contact Patricia Laverty at email@example.com.
Recipes From Volunteers Requested To Share At Cooks Club Event (Denver)
We have been asked to put together a notebook of volunteer's favorite recipes to share as part of a display at the Cooks Club event in May. We have enjoyed your treats over the years. If you have a yummy recipe you are willing to share, please email it to Betty Flaten at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include your name, how long you have volunteered at Rocky Mountain PBS, your home town, and what volunteer assignments you fill for the stations.
Tour Guides Have the Most Fun! (Denver)
Do you have a few hours a month? (Most tours are scheduled during the day but there are some occasional evenings too!) Join the fun of taking small groups around the Denver station and informing folks of all ages about the wonders of Rocky Mountain PBS. It's easy – we have tour scripts and we train you. Generally, our tours last approximately an hour. You don't have to be an expert. Just bring your smile and laughter with you. Tour guides are some of the best goodwill ambassadors that we have.
Rocky Mountain PBS is committed to our public and that means that we welcome the public into our station more than any other TV station in town. We need your help. If this sounds like something you would enjoy, please contact Susan Barber at email@example.com and we will have some fun!
Station’s Archived Memories (SAM) Chair (Denver)
The volunteer chairman position of STATION’S ARCHIVED MEMORIES (SAM) is open for application. The purpose of the SAM Committee is to identify, document and preserve the history of Rocky Mountain PBS. This exciting project has been underway for 13 years, and is unique within the entire PBS system.
The SAM Chair is responsible for managing the SAM volunteer committee. The position will start immediately and should expect to dedicate a minimum of 15 hours weekly. Work can be done from home as well as from the SAM Office at Rocky Mountain PBS.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Organize and preside over SAM Committee meetings or special events.
- Manage and supervise the SAM Committee which currently includes the following subcommittees:
- Photo Chair
- Production Preservation Chair
- Memorabilia Chair
- Computer Chair
- Station Research Chair
- Master Database Chair
- Marketing Chair
- Display Chair
- Oral History Chair
- Bookkeeping Chair
- Supervise and communicate with SAM chairpersons regularly providing assistance and support.
- Serve as the primary contact person for research information as requested by staff or others.
- Maintain records (i.e. minutes, expenses, history, photographs, etc.) related to SAM meetings or events.
- Ensure that each of the SAM Filemaker Pro master databases is properly and accurately maintained.
- Inform Rocky Mountain PBS staff and volunteers of the content and availability of researchable information within the archives.
- Serve as a voting member of the Rocky Mountain PBS Volunteer Board.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Familiarity with the history of Rocky Mountain PBS is very beneficial but not mandatory.
- The SAM Chair must be able to:
- Demonstrate strong project management and organizational skills.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the use of Filemaker Pro database, Excel, Outlook, Word, PDFs and scanners,
- Possess the ability to comfortably use Mac computers with a working knowledge of different operating systems.
- Delegate tasks and supervise fellow volunteers.
- Show great attention to detail.
- Work independently with minimal supervision.
- Initiate and follow through on projects in a timely fashion.
- Be sensitive to handling library or archival materials.
Volunteers interested in being interviewed for this position should contact the SAM Office immediately at SAM@rmpbs.org or call the SAM office during business hours at 303-620-5734.
Station's Archived Memories (SAM) Oral History Chair (Denver)
The Oral History Chair is responsible for overseeing the videotaping and archiving of Oral Histories for the history of Rocky Mountain PBS relating to its programming, community outreach, administrative operations and volunteer activities. A complete Oral History Chair manual is available to the chairperson.
The Oral History Chair reports to the SAM Chair. The Oral History Chair supervises an Oral History Committee consisting of interviewers, transcribers, proofreaders, data entry persons and any other positions deemed necessary for the completion of the assigned work.
An estimated average of 15 hours per week is required for the Oral History chairperson to adequately oversee the scheduling, research and conducting of interviews as well as managing post-interview work including transfer of interviews to DVD, scheduling transcribers and proofreaders and maintaining and organizing all related tapes, paperwork and electronic data.
- Serve as a member of the Station's Archived Memories (SAM) Board.
- Oversee a committee of volunteers that research, conduct and videotape interviews as well as transcribe and proofread transcripts from completed interviews.
- Create and maintain current training materials for interviewers, videographers and transcribers.
- Maintain updated OH electronic information such as biographical forms, informational materials, research.
- Maintain a directory of Oral History volunteers.
- Oversee the scheduling of interviews, interviewers, videographers, transcribers and proofreaders.
- Maintain a list of the current status of each conducted interview.
- Maintain a list of completed interviews using data entered into Filemaker Pro.
- Maintain a list of potential interview guests: administrators, staff, volunteers, local personalities and other.
- Oversee the scheduling and completion of all Oral History interviews.
- Oversee the maintenance and proper filing of all OH interview tapes, DVDs, print and electronic materials.
- With approval of the SAM Chair, purchase necessary electronic equipment and other miscellaneous supplies needed to fulfill the duties of the Oral History Chair.
- Submit volunteer hours in the Rocky Mountain PBS volunteer database, Volgistics.
- Submit a complete annual report when requested by the SAM Chair to include: (1) Job Description (2) Timeline (3) "How To" Report or Manual and (4) Other items as necessary for the job.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- In order to conduct informational interviews, familiarity with the station's history is very beneficial.
- Strong computer skills are required for this job including ability to send attachments, create Word documents and the knowledge of how to use Filemaker Pro for research and data entry.
- Comfort with public (recorded) speaking, strong organizational skills, the ability to delegate tasks, initiate and follow through on projects are all important skills for the Oral History Chair.
Volunteers interested in being interviewed for any SAM position should contact the SAM Office immediately at SAM@rmpbs.org or call the SAM office during business hours at 303-620-5734.
Volunteer at Rocky Mountain PBS
Volunteers play a critical role at Rocky Mountain PBS. The Rocky Mountain PBS volunteer corps donates (on average) 15,000+ hours per year. They expand the capacity of the organization in order to enhance the public outreach and sustain viewer support of the mission-- to inspire people to engage in deeper, more meaningful ways with the world around them. Volunteers enjoy the opportunity to work together supporting and leading station initiatives.
We hope that you might consider donating your time and talent to Rocky Mountain PBS. We have a variety of volunteer opportunities and new opportunities are constantly popping up. The best way to learn about these is to sign up in our database or contact volunteer coordinator, Susan Barber (firstname.lastname@example.org). To sign up in the database, go to www.rmpbs.org/volunteer and click on “Sign Up to Volunteer.” If you are in our database, you will receive monthly updates on volunteer news and opportunities. Below is a list of some of the many opportunities available:
Rocky Mountain PBS is a PUBLIC broadcasting station and we invite the public into the station at any opportunity! This is a very important piece of community outreach. We rely on our volunteer tour guides. Tours are done primarily during the day/business hours (but we also provide occasional weekday evening tours). It’s great fun and training is provided.
Sign up to be on our on-call list for a variety of short-notice, immediate jobs from mailings, to button making, to data input, “faux” phone banks and many more!
Greet and register guests at free screenings of outstanding independent films that occur approximately once a month. You meet great folks and have the opportunity to see award winning films.
If you enjoy taking pictures and you are pretty good, sign up to be a photographer! We take pictures of everything!!!
Pull a team together of your friends for an evening and take over the phones! or, volunteer individually to assist with the production and logistics
Super School News:
Coach a classroom in preparation for an on-air news broadcast about students’ schools. This nationally recognized program provides students with the opportunity to get a taste of broadcast journalism.
Station’s Archived Memories (SAM):
Help create order out of chaos and learn the history of public broadcasting, history of Denver and more. Like Super School News, this is a nationally recognized, volunteer-driven program.
Perfect for the volunteer who has limited time! Be a reader/judge for this state-wide short story contest for 6th, 7th and 8th graders. Help us judge and read over 900 stories.
Write articles, coordinate newsletters that include the monthly Volunteer Bulletin and the Cooks Club Newsletter.
Perfect opportunity to work with friends on weekdays, weekends or evenings for screenings, staffing booths at community events (including jazz events and the like).
Call your friends and build our volunteer corps by reaching out to your network – your friends and colleagues.
Develop and enhance your leadership skills. Opportunities abound to really make a significant impact by taking leadership roles in new and current station initiatives and on the Rocky Mountain PBS Volunteer Board!
Big and small events – many different jobs!
Variety of different types of jobs. Fun work in team atmosphere.
Southern Colorado Volunteer Opportunities (Colorado Springs & Pueblo)
For more information, contact Keanna Smith at Keannasmith@rmpbs.org
Tim Gill Center for Public Media: Office assistance, grant writing
Matchwits: Statewide quiz show for Colorado High Schools
Kids Fun Fest
Western Colorado Volunteer Opportunities (Grand Junction)
For more information, contact Ryan Stringfellow at email@example.com
Kids Fun Fest
Directions for Rocky Mountain PBS Volunteer Database
- Sign Up to Volunteer
- Go to www.rmpbs.org/volunteer
- Scroll down to first item-“Sign Up to Volunteer”
- Click on words in “this form”
- Complete application and submit
- You should then receive an email shortly with your pin#.
Kids Fun Fest On June 7, 2014: Join the Fun! (Colorado Springs)
Kids Fun Fest On June 7, 2014: Join the Fun! We are gearing up for this year's Kids Fun Fest in Colorado Springs on June 7, 2014. Join the fun! Volunteers needed to help check in vendors/booths, assist with stage set-up, give away schwag and assist with characters for stage events. If you would like to help, contact Barb Van Hoy at 719-418-5851 or BarbVanHoy@rmpbs.org.
Welcome Desk Volunteers at the Tim Gill Center and Other Opportunities (Colorado Springs)
More of our volunteers are welcome to help with the front desk at the Tim Gill Center! This will continue to be a very important service to our community as we continue to accommodate an ever-increasing number of requests to use the facilities at the Tim Gill Center.
The Southern Colorado branch of Rocky Mountain PBS is also seeking experienced volunteers to provide expertise in the following areas:
- Grant Research: Help identify specific grant opportunities for the Tim Gill Center and KTSC-TV
- Social Media: Provide best practice research, as well as help to keep our followers up-to-date on current local news and happenings with the Tim Gill Center and Rocky Mountain PBS
- Speakers Bureau for Local Outreach: We are looking for experienced professionals who are skilled at building and giving successful public presentations. Our goal is to speak to more people in our region about the exciting work we are doing in order to build our network of advocates and supporters.
If you would like to help, contact Barb Van Hoy at 719-418-5851 or BarbVanHoy@rmpbs.org.
Volunteers are needed to assist with a variety of station tasks. This is a great way to brush up on skills and meet new people. If you are interested in helping out, contact Ryan Stringfellow at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kids Fun Fest on August 2
Volunteers are needed for Grand Junction's Kids Fun Fest on August 2, 2014 in Lincoln Park. A variety of assignments are available. If you are interested in helping out, contact Ryan Stringfellow at email@example.com.